Thursday, July 9, 2009

Legs attached

Today it went better!
I started with removing the MDF from the foot.

I was planning on making a long groove to put a new power cable in. The wood glue was really strong, I had to use acetone (that I had lying around for the fiberglass) to get it all off, sanding would really take forever!

But then suddenly the cable that snapped yesterday came out. Yesterday I could lift the leg up by that cable and nothing would happen.
That made everything much easier. No I just had to route a much smaller groove starting from the place I drilled the hole yesterday to the hole where the cable came out. I was pretty deep and my router just couldn't get as deep as the original groove but it turned out well.
http://picasaweb.google.com/jasper.maes/ProjectR2D2#5356434762389237746
After I put the cable in the right place, I added some small chunks of wood to fill the groove a bit instead of filling it completely with filler.

Here's what I achieved yesterday, one leg attached:


And this is what I did today, both legs can rotate over a 36° angle:


The two white dots (the second one is at the bottom, left) are the 2 things that hold the shoulders to the body. I don't know what it's really called but it (normally) serves as something to be able to put a bolt into a wall.

Here's a picture of them alone:

This was everything I could get done before leaving on vacation, I'll start again in August with painting and finishing everything up. Really looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment